Thursday, February 04, 2010

mugged

Sydney is in the grips of a rather damp summer - every day seems to see humidity over 80%. As one of nature's natural perspirers (I could sweat for New Zealand at the Extremely Gross Olympics..) this is less than ideal.

This morning I walked to work and arrived looking like I'd just been standing in the sprinklers. Fortunately I was in an office that has decent aircon today - unlike my usual desk which appears to be in what could charitably be called a sultry climate, but in truth is probably just dank.

I went to the gym this afternoon (where they don't have aircon - it's like exercising inside someone's lung) and after a couple of minutes of boxing my head looked like a large wet tomato. With bloodshot eyes. After training I stood under a cold shower for about 10 minutes in an attempt to equalise my body temperature - I was shivering at the end. But in the time it took to get changed I was leaking from every pore yet again. Looked in the mirror and honestly wondered if I'd showered with my clothes on.

I'm sitting here on my balcony trying to cool down enough to invite sleep. I'm dripping. I love the heat at this latitude but I'm seriously re-thinking this city. Might have to move to Alice Springs for some dry heat.

Anyway. Have just piled a whole bunch of herbal sleep remedies into me and now must retire to see what happens. If I actually get to sleep I'm expecting some weird-ass dreams...

7 comments:

mc said...

I know it won't help, but I'm being envious of the heat - again.
London is like a dungeon right now, and not in a good way.

fishboy said...

Sydney is also like a dungeon - albeit one in, say, the Carribean. Without the exotic flavour but definitely with the cockroaches..

eroica said...

and the wees smells.

helena said...

Up here in the (not so) frozen North a bit of tropical rain would be most welcome...unless...is it the sort of tropical rain that makes your hair go frizzy (Kate Bush circ 1978/9). If it is then I'll stick with the damp that just makes your walls go black.

fishboy said...

If I had hair it would be more like Eraserhead circ 1977. Instead I have a head reminiscent of a mountain stream boulder. Minus the moss. So far.

The Real Mr Nobody said...

Up here in Sweden it's -10 and snowing... wanna swap??...please

fishboy said...

Ok, that's perhaps a little more extreme than I'd like - perhaps there's some reasonable middle ground somewhere? I'm going to try and find it and live there...