Monday, August 16, 2004

wordage

I've always been a lover of the English language, the written word especially. I was raised by librarians (that would be a really good title for a blog) and spent most of my early life hanging out in libraries. So I've gotten very attached to books. As anyone who's been to my various flats will have noticed. I love to read and usually have several books on the go at once, although in recent years I've taken to reading more blogs & general net content and fewer books. I wish I had the time for both.

I'm always amazed at the power of words on a page to move & enthrall me. I've no illusions about being a great writer myself but I'm very aware of other people's use of language and often find myself re-reading sections of whatever I'm engrossed in at the time, just to appreciate how well it's constructed. Powerful, thrilling, sensuous, magical, enlightening, shocking, arousing, scaring, disgusting. It doesn't really matter what the effect is as long as the words make the feeling real. A story has to make itself your world.

Letters & email have an even deeper resonance. Being the written connection between two people they have the feel of emotional closeness that comes from a personal conversation dressed in the revealing/concealing clothing of written words. They don't have to have universal appeal - they're just for you, and so much more emotionally charged for that.

Chatting through instant messages takes the communication to that strange netherworld between email & phone & speaking in person. This is difficult territory, for me at least, 'cause you have to communicate at the speed of speech (or close) using written words to express yourself the way you would verbally. Conversations can be very stilted sometimes, and other times they just ignite like a natural, wonderful meeting of minds.

Don't really know where I'm going with this. I just found this site the other day and it really speaks to me. Not in a voices-in-the-head-telling- me-to-burn-them-all kind of way either. Beautiful concept, I wish I'd had it. But then I don't think I'd have the guts to put myself out there like that. Or the ability to write them that well and varied.

Have a gander:

300 Love Letters

(thieved from Tam)

No comments: