Thursday, April 22, 2004

movies

I've been wondering to myself why it is that I don't blog about movies.

Anyone who knows me will know how much of a cinephile I am, and how my tastes in movies are on the whole fairly removed from what most 'normal' people go see. Barring BoBo of course, although the whole vomiting-at-the-mere-glimpse-of-a-handycam-shot she goes through provides our greatest parting of the cinematic ways.

I've (mostly) stopped inflicting my movie tastes on my friends. Which has meant a fair amount of going to movies by myself lately. Film festivals especially - I adore these events! Last year I seriously considered taking time off work so I could see the flicks I wanted to. In the end I went to about a dozen in the space of 2 weeks, and didn't regret a single one.

I used to write reviews about the movies I saw that touched me, or intrigued me, or annoyed me - the ones that got a definite reaction. I still do that, to an extent, in my (paper) diary. But I've never managed to get the writing up here. I think it may be the fear that once I start using this as a medium to wax lyrical about movies I may not use it for anything else...

I'd like to start a separate blog to deal solely with movies but I'm not sure I have the time, energy, ingenuity or perseverance to run two of these things. But it may be a good way for me to keep records of my thoughts on certain flicks - and to track my changing ideas about them.

Hmph. Must ponder more on this...

PS Saw 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' last night and was favourably impressed. Jim Carrey can do good work when he's made to rein in the mugging and slapstick. Go see.

No comments: