Wednesday, February 09, 2005

grump

Tell you one thing that fucks me off. Well, one of many. Have I mentioned how irritable I am? How much I'm generally a grumpy old coot? Oh I had, good. Now get off my lawn! Damn kids..

But I digress. Often. My entire life could be seen as a very complex digression.

Back to the rant. Computer software. It pisses me off. Not just for the usual reasons of obscenely inflated prices and dubious usefulness. No, it's the fact that they sell the cd and accompanying (woefully inadequate) 'information' booklet in a thumpingly huge box.

Oh I understand the reasons for doing so, I just hate them for it. It's the same reason cereal is sold in a box far larger than the actual product. So you think you're getting a good deal for your money, when in fact you're just buying a bunch of air and part of a dead tree.

Bigger = better. As always in marketingland.

But for software? Do they really think we're fooled?

Do they truly think that we think we must be getting a great deal because we're buying a cd in a box too large to hold in one hand?

What happened to the idea that, at least in the universe of computers, smaller is better? I mean, the companies that sell these products are usually called micro-something. Do they even understand what micro means?

It's enough to make you want to stab someone in the eye. Or maybe that's just me.

No comments: