Tuesday, October 04, 2005

recap

Yes I've been shit at this blogging malarkey lately. Like my report cards always said: "could try harder".

So, in an effort to prevent the site being declared vacant and squatters moving in here's a brief precis of the last month or so of fishboy life:

After my brush with wrinkle-free death life went back to it's dull humdrumness. It's bollocks that a near death experience changes your life & you get all carpe diem-y: when it comes down to it, we cheat death several times a day just by living in cities. No-one bats an eye at crossing a busy 4 lane road, fully confident in their ability to spring out of the way of huge metal monsters moving more than 20 times faster.

I've seen a couple of movies. Sin City was the full-on visual feast I'd been expecting but, after Mickey Rourke's story (man, he OWNED that film!) the other threads seemed a little anticlimactic. If anything involving Jessica Alba gyrating on stage can be called an anticlimax.. Still ranks as one of the most stunning films a I've seen in a long while, but I'm pinning my hopes to Wallace & Grommet to take out this year's top spot.

Read a couple of good books - and one outstandingly fantastic one. The Scar, by China Mieville. If you have any interest/tolerance for fantasy writing Read.This.Book. That's all. Go now.

Karate has been good - when I've been going. It's 6 months till the grading and my tension levels are already ratcheting up.. Must go throw my sai around this evening.

The big deal: went up to Port Douglas for a wedding. Now that was an experience worth blogging about. And yet.. it's been hard to get the words together. Not sure I can get it all out right now anyway, a lot is still brewing. Or festering.

I did sod-all writing when I was up there, started one letter but didn't even write any postcards. Oops. Ah well, they were all crap up there anyway, such a touristy town.

On the other hand the weather was fantastic, the seas warm and calm, the company great, and the beer plentiful. Met many fascinating bugs and managed to avoid being eaten by any of them. A fantastic time was had, all told.

I went diving on the reef (y'know, the Great Barrier one..) and that's a whole blog entry on it's own.

Oh yeah, the wedding was fab too. Much as I sneer and laugh at weddings (sometimes even throw things) and at the people who do them, this one was about as perfect as they get. I give them at least five years.

Then I came back to Sydney..

Blargh.

I must be allergic to this place: I got sick almost immediately upon going back to work. Took several days off and tried to come to terms with being back in the big stink.

It was a good thing I was home though - my neighbour's backyard (junkyard. I must get a photo of it sometime..) caught fire one afternoon and if I'd not been there to put it out it's quite possible several houses would have gone up. As it is we only lost a banana tree, a few shrubs and a section of the fence.

Since then..? Well, work is about as interesting as Condensed Theoretical Accountancy, 3rd Edition. Weather is improving: a balmy 34 degrees yesterday (that's Celsius, the sensible measurement, for those in North America). Cash flow is as torrential as the rainfall here in Sydney; which leads to: fun activities that cost anything = zero.

Still I have the Internet and a cat. Having exhausted my inspiration with one, I'm off to play with the other.

It's been real. Ciao.

No comments: